If you’ve made the decision to treat as many health issues as possible naturally, then it’s time to start adding essential oils to your medicine cabinet. These oils contain therapeutic properties believed to provide many health benefits without the nasty side effects that often accompany prescription and over-the-counter drugs. They’re great for taking care of a variety of the problems that moms face on a daily basis.
The first thing you’ll want to do is build up your supply of essential oils so you always have what you need when you need it. Most of these oils have a long shelf life, provided you store them in a dark colored bottle out of direct sunlight so there is no reason not to stock up. While there are many oils available with the potential to help make motherhood a little less stressful, there are a few that you just don’t want to do without.
Here are 12 of the main essential oils that need to be in a mom’s medicine cabinet:
- Lavender – This is one of the most popular oils available today and it has many different uses. However, it’s well known for its calm and soothing qualities that can ease feelings of tension and help you rest more peacefully throughout the night. It helps children with concentration and can help with seasonal allergies.
- Peppermint – Peppermint many uses, which includes promoting good digestion, freshens breath and relieves tension when diffused before study time. It also helps to support respiratory function and makes breathing easier.
- Eucalyptus – As a mother, you’ll want to keep this essential oil in your medicine cabinet. Mix with a carrier oil and apply to the chest area for a refreshing vapor rub that promotes feelings of clear, open airways so you can breathe easier.
- Tea Tree or Melaleuca – No medicine cabinet should be without tea tree oil. It’s one of the best options for treating minor cuts, scrapes, burns and other abrasions due to its antiviral and antiseptic properties. Use it in a diffuser to help clean and purify the air to make breathing easier and to prevent the spread of germs during cold and flu season.
- Frankincense – This oil has soothing properties. When applied to the bottom of the feet it helps balance mood and promotes relaxation making it a great oil to use on those long, stressful days. It may also help support a healthy immune and digestive system, so it’s a good oil to keep close at hand.
- Oregano – Oregano essential oil is a powerful antioxidant and supports a healthy immune. Besides adding it to your spaghetti sauce, it is actually great for fungal infections. (Not a pretty combination I know!)
- Lemongrass – Kids love to play outside but that also means they usually end up with all kinds of bug bites. Lemongrass acts as a natural insect repellant. Simply spray or mix with a carrier oil and rub on the skin prior to going outside to help prevent bites.
- Basil – Basil helps to support a healthy immune system and blood flow in addition to having cleansing properties making it a great oil to keep in your medicine cabinet. It is also great for gas.
- Cedarwood – Use cedarwood to calm a frightened child woken by a bad dream in the middle of the night or to help you unwind before going to bed. It’s also natural insect repellant and it may promote healthy skin when applied topically.
- Fennel – Many women use fennel to treat symptoms associated with their menstrual cycles such as cramps and mood swings. It may also help promote healthy lungs, respiratory function, and digestion while calming the nervous system and supporting a healthy immune system.
- Black Pepper – This oil has antioxidants that are good for the body. It’s believed to promote circulation, aid digestion and supports healthy respiratory and lung function. Its vitalizing aroma can soothe anxiety and calm the nervous system.
- Vetiver – Is great for children with ADHD or any child needing help concentrating. This is a must for our homeschooling family. As well it helps everyone with its calming effect after a long busy day.
Essential oils have many uses and the ones above can help moms take great care of themselves and their children. However, it is very important that you only buy essential oils from distributors you can trust to provide pure, high-quality oils, like doTERRA. Anything else could contain additives that may be harmful to your family or they may not provide the full benefits that pure essential oils provide.
When you’re ready to take a holistic approach to life in general, essential oils have a lot to offer. Use them to treat a variety of health issues and to reduce the risks of spreading germs and viruses that can make you sick during cold and flu seasons. Now is a great time to get started stocking that medicine cabinet.
Join in the conversation and learn more in my FaceBook Group, Oils are Essential.
Support and maintain your family’s health by STARTING HERE.